Wednesday, November 19, 2008

MeFi Mix #1 - Do Not Kink

Yet another source of my overflowing love for the community blog MetaFilter has been the CD swaps organized about twice every year. The idea is simple: burn 5 copies of a mix to CD and mail them to the 5 other people in your assigned swap set. Expect a mix in return from each of those same 5 folks.

Though I don't think I've ever participated in a swap where all 6 swap set members have come through, now that I think about it.

Still, about 7 years of this has loaded me up with great music mixes from around the world. I've started digitizing them now, and the first one up is (randomly) Do Not Kink!, sent to me in 2003.

These are included in the archive.
Click for bigger.



I can't remember who put this mix together. Here's the mystery mixer's liner notes:


    Do Not Kink!
  1. Gridlock by The Pogues
  2. Cornflake Girl by Jawbox
  3. Look Up by Stars
  4. Ivanka by Imperial Teen
  5. Air Batucada by Thievery Corporation
  6. Because of Money by 3rd Generation Band
  7. Paperwings by Damien Jurado
  8. Ray of Gob by Go Home Productions
  9. To Hell With Good Intentions by Mclusky
  10. Merchandise by Fugazi
  11. I'll Be Around (Live) by The Afghan Whigs
  12. Polaris by Nortec Collective and Bostich
  13. Ce n'est pas pour nous by Le Nombre
  14. And the Washington Monument (Blinks) Goodnight by Q and Not U
  15. Barra Barra by Rachid Taha
  16. Pack Yr Romantic Mind by Stereolab
  17. I Got Erection by Turbonegro
  18. Status by Mr. Lif feat. Insight
  19. Young Offenders by The Constantines
  20. Grounded (Live) by Pavement


back cover


This is a pretty good mix. I dig how it takes a bunch of artists I already like (The Pogues, Stars, Mclusky, Stereolab, Q and Not U, Constantines, Pavement) and then goes in a completely different (though not wholly unexpected) direction. A somewhat juvenile and awesome direction.

Check out all my MeFi Mixes

No comments: