Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Computer

I bought some components today. As you can tell from this list, I am obviously not a gamer. Maybe someday, but for now my PC doesn't have to seamlessly render 3D graphics at lightning blue-LED speed or anything. All it has to do is get me on the internet, show me my pictures and movies, and play my music. This I can do. (And for cheap!)

AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor
Wow, speaking of cheap. I was expecting my budget would only allow for a single core processor until this baby came along.


GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
I can plug everything else into this one, and it came "retail" so all the cords are included.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
On the small side, but the case (below) has plenty of space for expansion and I'm already rockin' a 500GB network storage drive.

LITE-ON Black 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
20X DVD+R
8X DVD+RW
8X DVD+R DL
20X DVD-R
6X DVD-RW
12X DVD-RAM
16X DVD-ROM
48X CD-R
32X CD-RW
48X CD-ROM
I've never owned a DVD burner, and it may turn out I never use it—somehow I'm gonna get that network drive married to my big ol' TV one of these days.

Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector
Nothing flashy. Plenty of room and power. Cheap!


Plus 2x1GB DDR2 RAM and a heatsink/fan for the X2. A coupla parts I'm salvaging from my 'classic' eMachines T2862, and I mighta even reused the case and PS. Maybe for a future project. Keeping the screen, mouse, and keyboard—though I might go in for a wireless ergo puncher if I come across the right price. I'm going with whatever the latest Ubuntu Linux release is for the OS; I have no idea what I'm getting into with this, but I have three days to figure it out.

Total out of pocket today: $314.55
RAM mail-in rebate: $40.00

Grand Total: $274.55

Not bad, eh?

No comments: